2017 Match Reports


ROUND 1 | Cockburn City v Subiaco AFC | 18-2-2017    READ… 








 2015 Match Reports


Cockburn City maintained their fifth spot on the table after a 3-1 win against local rivals Armadale, in their ‘Rivalry Round’ clash at Dalmatinacpatterson2 Park. Cockburn striker Rory Patterson was outstanding, bagging a brace, with Conor Kavanagh adding the other, while Darren Francis, who was a stand out for the visitors, scored Armadale’s consolation goal. “We created a lot of opportunities today, and I was really pleased with the attitude of the players,” Cockburn Coach Marc Anthony said. “On another day we could have scored six or seven, just a little disappointed to concede a sloppy goal late. We now look forward to taking on the league leaders Bayswater City next week.”

It was an even opening to the game, and new Armadale signing Anthony Skorich tested Cockburn keeper Curtis Aspden early, before David Araya fired over for the home side. But on 13 minutes the home side hit the front. A quick throw out from Aspden sent Julian Teles away and he fed Patterson, who rolled off his marker and fired home clinically past Luke Radonich. It should have been 2-0 moments later, Feisal Zaw sent Patterson clear, but Radonich narrowed the angle and the striker fired wide. The home side were well on top, and Armadale were hanging on. Patterson headed wide at the near post, before Teles shot was well saved by Radonich. It looked like the Reds had held on until the break, but in stoppage time Cockburn doubled their advantage. Teles played the ball in to Patterson, who raced into the area. His shot was saved by Radonich, but the ball rebounded of Kavanagh into the net, despite Passalacqua goal line clearance.

The visitors opened brightly after the break, and Aspden had to be alert to deny Skorich early, before Francis’ long-range shot flashed inches over the bar. But Cockburn settled and on the hour they added a third. A ball over the top by Conor Kavanagh sent Patterson racing into the area. He held off Sam Loveless before finishing with aplomb. Armadale continued to take the game to Cockburn, and Skorich was sent clear by Jesse Fuller, but Aspden stood tall to deny him. But the visitors were back in the game on 79 minutes, Francis rising highest to head home Loveless’ free kick. Both sides had late chances. Patterson was a denied a fourth on 89 minutes; his shot superbly saved by Radonich, before Mick Crerand’s shot was saved low by Aspden.


Perth SC maintained the pressure on the top two after a 3-1 win against Cockburn City at Dorrien Gardens. Teenage striker Nicholas Ambrogioperth-new continued his recent goal scoring form, bagging a brace, and Mark Pritchard added the third from the spot, while Rory Patterson scored Cockburn’s consolation goal, his 10th of the season late on. Perth had been struggling with a flu bug in the camp, and had a number of players struggling during the week, and Marco Santalucia said they had to dig deep. “Obviously we were hit pretty hard with the flu this week and more than half of the team were sick,” he said. “As a result a few of us had to play a slightly different role for the team, myself included from centre back to right back. I think we defended well particularly in the first 15 minutes when they came at us, but we caught them on the break and took our chances and I think that was the difference. “Recently we have all been playing with confidence and that continues to increase alongside our building momentum. I think it’s partially due to every player at the club wanting to be on that plane to Sydney in a few weeks for the FFA Cup tie.”

Cockburn, who took a point of second placed Floreat last week, started the better in this one, and created a number of half chances, but failed to convert them, and against the run of play it was the home side who took the lead on the quarter hour. Perth skipper Clark Keltie’s slide rule pass sent Ambrogio clear, and he finished with aplomb past the on-coming Curtis Aspden.

Perth went close to a second on 38 minutes, but Josh Perriera’s shot crashed off the crossbar and away to safety. The visitors, with Conor Kavanagh and returning skipper Eamon McNelis influential, started to find space behind the Perth backline, and just before the break they went close to levelling. The lively Feisal Zaw whipped a great cross into the penalty area to Liam Murray, but his first time lob went the wrong side of the crossbar.

Perth looked sharper after the break, and Cockburn custodian Aspden was at his best to deny them twice, as they pushed for the equaliser. But again against the run of play Perth doubled their advantage. Second half substitute Frank Furfaro held off his marker and played the ball into Ambrogio, who back heeled into the net, giving Aspden no chance.

The result was put beyond doubt on 74 minutes when Perth added a third. Referee Tim Mihevc spotted a handball on McNelis and after consulting with his assistant he awarded a penalty, and Pritchard stepped up to convert the spot kick. Cockburn found a late consolation goal six minutes later, Paterson make no mistake from inside the penalty area, but it was too little too late for Marc Anthony’s side.



Floreat Athena lost ground on the league leaders after they were held to 3-3 draw by Cockburn City at the E&D Litis Stadium. Rory Patterson had cockburnvfloreat4_1given the hosts the lead from the penalty spot early, before Phil Arnold and Lewis McMahon but the hosts ahead at the break. Conor Kavanagh level just half time and McMahon added his second to regain the lead for Floreat, before Liam Murray earned his side a point fifteen minutes from time. “We knew it was going to be a hard game but anything less than getting three points would be disappointing,” Floreat midfielder Jon Stynes said. “Too many missed chances and conceding scrappy goals cost us today.”

The home side was out of the blocks early, and Cockerels keeper Curtis Aspden was kept busy. New signing Jon Stynes, who was making his home debut for the club, saw his shot saved by the keeper on 20 minutes, before he thwarted Ludovic Boi and Steve Burton. But against the run of play the visitors hit the front. Patterson was brought down in the area by keeper Fraser Greenwood, and referee Adam Fielding pointed straight to the spot.

Patterson picked himself up to fire Cockburn into the lead with his ninth goal of the season, from the resulting penalty. Their lead lasted only two minutes. Arnold was given far too much space in the box and his shot on the turn flew past Aspden. Then two minutes before the break Floreat took the lead. Boi, who was involved in everything, played in McMahon, and the striker finished with aplomb past Aspden.

Cockburn were back level seven minutes after the break, Harry O’Brien’s deep cross headed home by Kavanagh at the back post. It was end-to-end football, but it was Floreat who restored their lead on the hour. Burton was the provider this time feeding McMahon, who fired home. But Cockburn were determined to take something from the game and dually came 16 minutes from time. Second half substitute Friday Zico cross picked out Patterson, whose shot was blocked by Greenwood, Murray was alert to fire home the rebound.



Cockburn City moved up to fourth on the table after a hard fought 2-0 win against Perth Glory at the Inglewood Stadium. A first NPL goal from gloryvcockburn1-1Jonathan Corness and a late strike from Liam Murray were enough for the Cockerels, although Coach Marc Anthony said they were lucky to still be in the game at the break. “I told the players to go out and try and intimidate them, but the opposite happened and I thought they (Glory) were fantastic,” he said. “They were fighting and winning all the second balls, but I had a go at our lads at the break and I thought our lads were excellent in the second.”

The visitors had the first opportunity on four minutes; Patterson’s shot on the turn was saved low by Jordan Franken. The Glory, who were looking to end a 10 game run without a win, hit back and Michael McDougal tested Cockburn keeper Curtis Aspden with a low shot on 20 minutes. Moments later Daniel Stynes skipped past his marker on the left and rifled a low shot which was well saved by Aspden at his near post. Both sides went close late in the half. Corness’ cross from the right was met by Julian Teles, but Franken made a good reflex save to deny him. Then a free kick from Glory skipper Jacob Collard was palmed away by Aspden.

Aspden was in the action again three minutes into the second half, saving low from Slobodan Vulin’s long-range shot. Patterson was a real handful for the Glory defence, and moments later he held off his marker, but his curling shot drifted inches wide of the post. It was Patterson again on the hour, his snap shot crashed off the crossbar and away to safety. Cockburn were now on top and former Glory midfielder Harry O’Brien saw his shot saved low by Franken, before the Glory custodian produced one of the saves of the season.

Devon Gibson made space down the right, and crossed into the area, and Patterson caught it sweetly on the volley, but a superb reaction save from Franken denied him. But the visitors’ relentless pressure was rewarded with the lead on 79 minutes. Patterson cut across the edge of the area and fed Corness on the right, who’s first time shot took a slight deflection off a Glory defender and hit the back of the net via the post. It was 2-0 three minutes later. A long clearance sent second half substitute Murray racing in on goal; he got to the ball just in front of Franken and finished into an empty net.



Cockburn City moved up to fifth place on the table, after a 2-1 win against a young ECU Joondalup side at Dalmatinac Park. Harry O’Brien cockburnvecuscored twice for the home side with two well taken goals, either side of Tommy Amphlett’s equaliser for the visitors. “I’ve got a lot of respect for ECU, Dale has had a horrendous run of injuries, but he some good young kids in there, and they showed that today, and on another day they would have got a point,” Cockburn Coach Marc Anthony said. “We made it difficult for ourselves, but we kept at it all game and got the rewards with the late winner.”

ECU gave league starting debuts to teenagers Ollie Annis and Harry Bissett, but the start of the game was lacklustre, with chances few and far between, and the first real opportunity fell to the visitors on 24 minutes. Amphlett raced away down the right, cut inside his marker, his shot was well saved by Curtis Aspden, with Alan Carroll on hand to head away the rebound. The home side went close themselves on 27 minutes. ECU custodian Jamie Serra saving well to deny Cockburn top scorer Rory Patterson. But 10 minutes later the home side hit the front. O’Brien found space on the left, and cut inside Roland Rixer. His shot took a slight deflection and flew low into the corner of the net giving Serra no chance.

The visitors started the second half well and were level on 50 minutes. Amphlett won a tackle on the edge of the box, and he raced into the area and fired clinically past Aspden. Cockburn almost hit back immediately. A poor clearance from Serra turned the ball over and O’Brien raced into the area, but his shot from the angle hit the base of the post and away to safety, much to the relief of Serra.

Serra was keeping his side in the game. The keeper made a great save to deny O’Brien on the hour, and produced an even better one to thwart the same player moments later. O’Brien was on fire, and he should have added a second on 79 minutes. A quick free kick by Julian Teles caught ECU napping, the ball found its way to O’Brien, but his shot flashed inches wide of the target.

But that was all forgotten sixty seconds later when Cockburn regained the lead. Patterson played a good through ball to O’Brien on the left. He cut inside his marker and across the edge of the penalty area, and his shot flew into the corner of the net. ECU pushed men forward looking for the equaliser, and were being caught out at the back. Patterson’s shot from the edge of the penalty area was well saved by Serra. Before Liam Murray was also denied by Serra, who was out bravely to save at the strikers feet in stoppage time.



Sorrento’s English striker Sean Canham rescued a point for Sorrento with an injury time equaliser in a 1-1 draw against Cockburn City at cockburnvsorrento-1Dalmatinac Park. It looked like they would leave with nothing after defender Alan Carroll had given the home side the lead with ten minutes remaining, but the former Notts County and Exeter City striker scored to take a share of the spoils. “I thought we deserved more from the game we created so many chances and played some great football so it is bitter to be walking away with only one point, to go one down late in the game we’ll take anything,” Sorrento coach Jamie Harnwell said. “We controlled the game and won our duels all over the park but our finishing let us down again today.”

It was a sombre start to proceedings with a minute’s silence held after the sad passing of Cockburn major sponsor Peter Mirco. But it was Sorrento who looked lively from the first whistle, and Jordan Dodd blazed over after only five minutes after good work on the right by Jack Salter, before Canham headed wide moments later. Cockburn arose from their slumber and should have taken the lead on the quarter hour. The league’s leading scorer Rory Patterson was sent one-on-one with James Morgan, but the Sorrento custodian produced a great save to deny him.

Both sides had chances early in the second half, Harry O’Brien shot on the run was saved by Morgan, before Jordan Dodd saw his shot saved low by former Gulls custodian Curtis Aspden. The game was up for grabs and it was end-to-end football. Aspden saved well to thwart Brad McDonald, before Cockburn had the ball in the net on the hour, but Patterson’s goal was disallowed with the flag up for offside. Aspden then came to his sides rescue with a stunning double save to deny Salter and McDonald, before Morgan saved well from Devon Gibson’s back post header.

But the deadlock was finally broken ten minutes from time. Second half substitute Julian Teles’ corner picked out Carroll, who headed home powerfully from four meters. Sorrento pressed late and on 87 minutes they went close to the equaliser. Keeper Morgan even went forward, and from Jason Mirco’s corner the keepers’ header beat Aspden but crashed off the crossbar. It looked like that was Sorrento’s last chance but in stoppage time they found a deserved equaliser. Cockburn failed to clear a free kick and Todd Harnwell’s cross was turned home by Canham to earn them a share of the spoils.



After a difficult time in May, when they went four games without a win, Cockburn City has won back-to-back games after a hard fought 1-0 obrienvbalcattawin against Subiaco AFC at Rosalie Park. Harry O’Brien scored his second goal in the last two weeks, to win for Marc Anthony’s side the win moving them up to fifth on the table, but the performance of keeper Curtis Aspden was the highlight, the Cockburn custodian made a number of vital saves to keep his side in the contest. “We had plenty of chances in the game but Subiaco did what they do best, and that is frustrate teams that go there,” Cockburn winder Feisal Zaw said. “We’ll definitely take the three points, and a clean sheet which is good going forward.”

It was a tight opening, with Subiaco hoping to kick start their season with a win, but it was Cockburn who had more possession, with Zaw and O’Brien caused problems down the flanks. The return of skipper Eamon McNelis was a huge positive for the visitors, but it was the home side were hitting on the counter attack, and Aspden had to be alert to save from Isaac Koomson, Danny Milne and Jonas Dorling before the break.

Gerry McEwan’s side started the better after the break and the lively Josh Booysen fired over the top early, but on the hour Cockburn hit the front. The former Glory winger was sent away after a long clearance from Aspden; his first touch was excellent taking him clear of his marker and he finished clinically past Ryan Montgomery. Cockburn went in search of a second, but they wasted a number of good chances, with Zaw failing to find the target when well placed, while substitute Julian Teles late shot was well saved by Montgomery.




Cockburn City keeper Curtis Aspden returned to the side and was in great form in the 3-1 win against Balcatta at Dalmatinac Park. The WA aspden1State keeper produced a number of saves, while goals from Rory Patterson, Friday Zico and Harry O’Brien saw Cockburn home, while an own goal from Alan Carroll was the only reply for Balcatta. “We had a hard draw at the start of the season, but we have been awful and hopefully this is the kick start for us,” Aspden said. “We have a lot of experience in the spine of the team, but we also have some younger players who are learning their trade, and hopefully they can grow in to it.”

The home side were ahead on 26 minutes, Patterson saw his first shot blocked by Balcatta keeper Clint Davies, but the striker was quickest to the rebound firing home to give Cockburn the lead. However, their lead only lasted for 10 minutes. A short corner caught Cockburn napping, and Adrian Caceres cross into the area flicked off Cockburn defender Alan Carroll to level.

Cockburn came out the better after the break, Carroll heading over early, before Julian Teles blazed over on 56 minutes. Aspden came to his sides rescue on the hour, Gustavo Catarcione crossed to Caceres, whose effort was superbly saved by the Cockburn keeper. That save became more significant when Cockburn regained the lead on 74 minutes. Patterson’s deep cross found second half substitute Zico, who headed home.

Balcatta pressed for the equaliser, and they thought they had found it six minutes later, but Aspden had other ideas. Patrick Quinn’s cross from the right deflected off Devon Gibson, and it was heading for the corner of the net, but Aspden produced a stunning reaction save at his near post. The points were made save for the home side in stoppage time. Zaw fed Patterson’ who unselfishly pulled the ball back to O’Brien who scored from five-meters.


Stirling Lions maintain their recent good form, and added to the pain for Marc Anthony’s side, with a 4-0 win against Cockburn City at stirlingMacedonia Park. Teeboy Kamara gave the home side the lead after only nine minutes, before a brace from Daniel Micevski and one from skipper Miki Vujacic wrapped up a comprehensive victory.

“It was one of those games where we all seemed to click at the right time and we scored early which took a lot of the pressure off us and then the two goals just before half time virtually killed the game off,” said midfielder Tim Hill. “They had a few chances but we were very solid all over the park and scored at the right times and probably should of had a few more, but we played really well and everything’s coming together nicely at the moment.”

It was a tight opening and the visitors went close on eight minutes, Harry O’Brien weaved his way through a static Lions defence, but keeper Connor Campbell stood tall to deny the winger. That save became more important as in the next attack the home side hit the front. Steve Purton’s ball sent Kamara clear, and he lobbed the ball over Jack Adams and into the net.

Cockburn, who have not won since the opening round, looked to hit back and Conor Kavanagh’s volley was well saved by Campbell. But the Lions took control and scored two goals in three minutes before half time to break the game wide open. First on 38 minutes, Micevski burst clear from Lawrence Shuruma’s through ball and finishing well past Jack Adams. The midfielder added his second three minutes later, lashing home Anthony Bafobusha’s cross.

The home side continued to take the game to Cockburn, and they were rewarded with a fourth on the hour. Describe goal. To Cockburn’s credit they continued in search of a goal and O’Brien, Feisal Zaw and Julian Teles went close, but Jack Adams was working overtime at the other end, the Cockburn custodian made a number of saves to keep the score line respectable.


2.5.2015 – MARULANDA’S TRIPLE THREATbayswater

Bayswater City striker Gustavo Giron-Marulanda put on a goal scoring clinic as they beat  City 4-0 at Dalmatianc Park on Saturday evening. The Colombian striker bagged a hat trick, while new signed Phil Arnold added the fourth late on. “I’m more than happy to score a hat-trick, but also to help the team to three points,” Marulanda told the NPL-WA web site. “I’ve been working very hard to get back into form and today everything went well. We played a very good game today and it turned out to be comfortable in the end.”

It was a tight opening with the hosts looking to kick start their season, but the visitors took control and were ahead on 24 minutes. Marulanda was picked out in the box, and he cut inside his marker, before rolling the ball past Curtis Aspden. Bayswater doubled their lead six minutes later, Marulanda racing clear and finishing clinically past Aspden.

Cockburn looked to hit back, but were struggling to break down a Bayswater defence well led by skipper Trent Kay, although Harry O’Brien’s snap shot flashed inches over the top. Cockburn, who were missing striker Rory Patterson continued to press but at the break the visitors led 2-0.

Bayswater started the second half well, and they added a third on the hour, after Borbor Sam was bundled over in the box, and referee Josh Mannella pointed straight to the spot. Marulanda stepped up and sent Aspden the wrong way to convert from the penalty to complete his hat-trick. There was still time for a fourth, when second half substitute shot on the turn beat Aspden, the win keeping Chris Coyne’s side at the top of the table.


18.4.2015 – COCKBURN HIT BACK TO NICK THE POINTS2015telescockburn

City ended a two game losing streak after coming from two goals down to beat Armadale 3-2 at Alfred Skeet Oval on Saturday evening. The home side were in control with Nick Crerand and Jackson Bealey on target, but Alan Carroll pulled one back on 56 minutes, before Rory Patterson and Julian Teles  (right) won it for Marc Anthony’s side. They had to hold on grimly late when Patterson was sent off, but the Reds couldn’t find the equaliser. “We knew it was going to be a tough game as Armadale would be searching for their first win of the season under their new manager,” Cockburn skipper Eamon McNelis said. “They took the game to us and got their rewards by going 2-0 up, but great character to our boys for pulling it back, something we have missed the past couple of weeks. We’re now looking to get our season back on track after a disappointing couple of weeks and next up in the league is Bayswater, we’ll have to get back to our best.”

The home side made all the early running and Bealey’s shot was palmed onto the post by Curtis Aspden. But roared on by the locals, Armadale hit the front on 16 minutes. Creland pounced on a loose ball in the penalty area, before firing past Aspden from close-range. Aspden was keeping his side in the contest, the Cockburn custodian saving well to deny Caleb Dixon. At the other end Reds keeper Dylan Wilson kept his side in front at the break with a stunning one-handed save to deny Teles.

Armadale continued to take the game to Cockburn after half time and they doubled their lead on 52 minutes. Bealey picked the ball on the left, cut inside his marker and fired home from the edge of the penalty area. But Cockburn were back in the game four minutes later, with big defender Carroll seeing his glanzing header from Harry O’Brien’s corner beat Wilson, it was game on.

Cockburn were now on top and Wilson had to be alert to deny Patterson, but the striker had the last laugh on 69 minutes when he equalised. A ball into the area wasn’t dealt with by the Armadale defence, and Patterson fired home from close-range. The visitors had all the momentum now and they hit the front two minutes later. Liam Murray’s cross found Teles, who was given far too much space in the box, and he poked it home underneath Wilson from six-yards. The game ended on a sour note for Cockburn when striker Patterson was given a second yellow card by referee Adam Fielding and was sent off, but they held on to take home the points.


11.04.15 PERTH SHINE UNDER LIGHTS2015aspdencockburn

Perth SC maintained their good start to the new season with a 2-0 win over  City, under lights at Dalmatinac Park on Saturday evening. First half goals from Nick Ambrogio and Josh Wilkins were enough for the visitors, but it could have been worse for the Cockerels, but keeper Curtis Aspden (right) made a number of fine saves. “It was another first class performance where every player executed the game plan perfectly,” Perth Coach Taki Nicolaidis said. “We were very strong in every department and felt that we are improving all the time. It was a very important win as it has kept us in the mix with the leading ground at this early stage of the season.”

Perth was defiantly up for the game, after losing to Cockburn in the Night Series, and they showed their intent early. Aspden saved well to deny Wilkins, before Ambrogio was sent in on goal by a great through ball from Carlo Coelho, but the crossbar came to the rescue of Cockburn. The home side settled, but were struggling in the final third, and on 22 minutes it was Perth who hit the front. Dean Evans broke up a Cockburn attack and found Mark Pritchard. The midfielders’ first time pass picked out Ambrogio, who beat the offside trap and finished clinically past Aspden.

Cockburn were struggling to cope with Perth, and Rocco Pizzata’s shot on the run whistled just wide of the target. But in the shadows of home time Perth doubled their advantage. Wilkins started the move, racing from his own half and playing the ball out wide to Aden da Luz. Wilkins continued his run, and Da Luz found the defender again in the box, and he finished low past Aspden.

It was Cockburn who began the second half the better with Feisal Zaw and Harry O’Brien in the thick of their attack moves. But it was Perth who creating the better chances, and they almost made it 3-0 on 75 minutes. A long ball over the top sent Ashley Rosindale clear, he rounded Aspden, but took the ball wide and it allowed the Cockburn custodian to get back and save on the line.

Rosindale then had another opportunity moment later. He was given far too much time and space on the edge of the penalty area, but Aspden produced a great save to deny him. Cockburn pressed late and second half substitute Liam Murray headed wide when well placed, before the league top goalscorer Rory Patterson failed to add to his five, doing likewise.


04.04.15 – FLOREAT TOO GOOD FOR COCKERELS2015pattersoncockburn
Floreat Athena began their PS4 NPLWA season with a dominate 3-1 win against City at Dalmatinac Park. The visitors showed why they will be in contention for the title with an excellent all-round team performance. Rory Patterson (right) had put City in front early, but second half goals from Blair Govan, Ludovic Boi and Kris Gate gave Floreat the victory. “We were unlucky in the first half and dominated the game, but that football. But what I’m proud of is the way the boys stuck to our game plan after the break and we got the rewards,” Floreat Coach Glen Grostate said. “We scored some great goals in the second half, and they (Cockburn) have been some great form, so to come here and take the points is massive.”

The visitors, who had new signing Dejan Aleksic in goal against his former club, were on top early, with Jack Allen and Dennis Galan going close, but they lost midfielder Robbie Gasper to injury after only five minutes. They then conceded a goal on 17 minutes, in the home sides’ first attack, Patterson steering home Friday Zico’s low cross from the left. Despite going behind Floreat continued to take the game to Cockburn and Williams’ shot from the edge of the penalty area was superbly saved by Curtis Aspden three minutes later. There were chances at both ends as the game opened up. First Bobby Wilson saw his header cleared off the line by Blake Adams, before on the half hour Williams did likewise to thwart Patterson.
Floreat were back on level terms 12 minutes into the second half. Lewis McMahon’s cross picking out the unmarked Govan who fired low past Aspden. They doubled their advantage two minutes later, Boi burst into the penalty area and the skippers shot was deflected past Aspden. Boi should have added a third on 71 minutes, when he was on-on-one with Aspden, but the Floreat skipper fired straight at Aspden. The points were wrapped up four minutes later; Boi’s cross from the left was turned home by Gate in the six yard box to make it 3-1. It could have been worse for the home side, Boi’s curling free kick crashed off the post late on, but at the final whistle it was Floreat who took the point’s home.


Match Day Programs with Junior, Women and Senior Reports for 2014





Match Day Programs with Junior, Women and Senior Reports for 2013


  1. Match Day program Joondalup
  2. Match day Program Balcatta 2013
  3. Publication1- Program Stirling Lions
  4. Match Day Program Bayswater
  5. Match Day program V’s NTC 2013


Watch the latest webisode of Football 360

Australia’s best online football show is back in a weekly format for 2013!
In this week’s webisode:
We review the Night Series Final and chat to both coaches – Bayswater City’s Chris Coyne and Cockburn City’s Scott Miller
The Bankwest Girls Day Out recently took place at nib Stadium and we spoke with Perth Glory Women star Elisa D’Ovidio and a future Matilda hopeful
Football West chief executive Peter Hugg explains the Home of Football campaign
And we see some amazing vision from the Perth African Nations Cup Final!
Are you ready for a football revolution?
Watch the latest webisode at www.footballwest.tv


Bayswater win over newly promoted Cockburn City

Peter Simcox
Second half goals to new signings Steve Burton and Trent Kay put Chris Coyne’s side in control and despite a late goal from Eamon McNelis, that made it a nervous end, they hung on to send their loyal supporters into raptures.
Former Ipswich Town trainee Burton was delighted with the win.
“We made it hard for ourselves near the end, but you know what to expect when you play Cockburn this year,” Burton said.
“They are a very physical team and we hit them on the counter-attack, and it was nice to score a goal early in the second half.
“It settled us down, as we were a little bit nervous, as we missed a few chances in the first half and I was guilty of it too.
“But it’s great for these supporters, it’s been 26 years for them to celebrate a final win, and it’s nice to make a bit of history for this club.”
It was a sombre start to the game when the big crowd stood as one in a moments silence for former WA state football coach Frank Longstaff, who passed away during the week.
It was a bright opening for Bayswater and Gustavo Catarcione headed over after only three minutes, and the Italian striker was in again moments later, but his goal bound shot was deflected wide by McNelis.
The Cockerels settled and went close themselves, Paul Lloyd low shot was well saved by Gianni Papalia at his near post.
Cockburn were looking dangerous from set pieces and Lloyd’s corner from the left fell to Castiello, but his close-range shot was blocked by Papalia.
But as the half ended it was Bayswater who began to take control, and Burton was denied twice by the alert Dejan Aleksic.
At half time Bayswater coach Chris Coyne was happy with the side’s performance, but disappointed they weren’t in front.
Some stern words at the break saw his side come out firing and just 60 seconds into the second half, Bayswater took the lead with Burton firing home from eight yards.
Bayswater were dominating and almost added a second four minutes later, but Catarcione’s shot from 12 yards was superbly saved by Aleksic.
Then from the resulting corner Burton’s header was cleared off the line by McNelis.
Their domination was rewarded on 83 minutes with a second when a quickly taken free kick by Howarth caught Cockburn napping and Kay fired home from 10 yards.
But three minutes from time, Cockburn were back into the game.
Substitute Ian McMurray found space down the right, played the ball back to McNelis, who fired home low past Papalia from the edge of the penalty area.
It was too little too late for Scot Miller’s side and at the final whistle it was Bayswater celebrating the victory.
Bayswater coach and former Perth Glory defender Coyne was delighted for everyone at the club.
“Yes I’m delighted, but I’ve got a few more grey hairs,” Coyne said.
“We’ve worked hard in the pre-season and the boys deserve this, they have been fantastic ever since I was appointed.
“But no disrespect to Cockburn I thought we should have scored a few more, but if you don’t take your chances you let the opposition in.
“I was disappointed to concede a goal late but they never stopped, and Scotty (Miller) has them well drilled and they will be tough to beat in the league this season.”
Football West Night Series Final Cockburn City 1 (McNelis 87’) Bayswater City 2 (Burton 46’, Kay 83’) Sunday 3rd March 2013 Venue: Macedonia Park Kick-off: 7.45pm Attendance: 1,500 (Approx) Referee: Paul Anderson Assistants: Joe Fusari and Robert Hall 4th Official: Trent Fleskens
Cockburn City: GK Dejan ALEKSIC, 3 Keiron STALLARD, 4 Evan GRANT, 6 Ian STACK, 9 Eamon MCNELIS, 10 Paul LLOYD, 18 Alex CASTELLO, 12 Conor KAVAGH, 13 John THORNLEY (7 Ian MCMURRAY 62’) 16 Aiden DA LUZ (20 Matt SALMON 67’), 17 Paul NATALE (c)
Substitutes not used: RGK Jack ADAMS, 5 Jason GODFREY Yellow cards: Stallard 34’, Grant 37’
Bayswater City: GK Gianni PAPALIA, 2 Patrick QUINN, 4 John KEARNEY (c), 5 Andy REALE, 6 Todd HOWARTH, 7 Brian FARRELL, 8 Paul McCARTHY, 11 Gustavo CATARCIONE (10 Damien CATALANO 75’), 12 Steven BURTON, 13 Trent KAY (3 Daniel KOVACEVIC 87’), 16 James ISAIA (18 David SESAY 54’)
Substitutes not used: RGK Clint DAVIS, 17 Hassan AL YASSIR Yellow cards: Burton 90+1’

Cockburn stuns Perth

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cockburn City coach Scott Miller remained grounded after their 2-1 upset over favourites and holders Perth at E&D Litis Stadium in the second semi-final of the 2013 Night Series.

Kalon Harrison
“At the end of the day, it’s great to be in a final, but it’s still pre-season,” he said.
“We are working on getting fit; we are working on our philosophy of how we want to play.
“I’ve got a great bunch of boys that are willing to listen and to try everything they can and today we got lucky.
“Ah, well, we probably deserved it, we defended really well today.”
In a classic smash-and-grab, Cockburn defended deep and allowed Perth to control most of the possession in the first half.
In the 28th minute David Micevski had a golden opportunity. After rounding Dejan Aleksic in the Cockburn goals, Micevski’s attempt was blocked by Eamon McNelis on the line.
The newly promoted Cockburn took the lead from the penalty spot in the 57th minute, Paul Lloyd the scorer from the spot kick.
Perth coach Mauro Marchione thought the foul was outside the penalty area, but the referee thought otherwise.
The Perth players looked dejected after conceding the first goal, and couldn’t get into the same rhythm as they did in the first half.
Conor Kavagh all but sealed the win for the Cockerels in the 75th minute after a quick counter attack gave Kavagh acres of space, slotting the ball past a very impressive Jason Saldaris to go two up.
Saldaris made two more saves one-on-one in the final 10 minutes, which allowed Daniel Micevski to bring the game back to one goal, but it was too late and the final whistle ended Perth’s domination of the Night Series in recent history.
Marchione was disappointed with the loss, but is confident of the season ahead.
“We should have won the game in the first half; we dominated the first 45 minutes. We didn’t score and they survived,” he said.
“But, I’m very proud of the boys; we showed that we are a good team.
“We’ll keep working hard for the start of the season. We tried out some new players today, we are very happy with the performance.
“At the end of the day, I am very confident, particularly after the first half we played, there were only positives.”
Miller said that playing top sides from the top division in the Night Series boded well for Cockburn’s season.
“We won Division One; we are here to be competitive and we want to be playing against the best teams and just see how we go,” he said.
“In a few week s the real season starts and we want to be ready to put out a really good performance against the Premier League teams.
“We are using this as an extra fitness session but when you get to play the best teams; we had Stirling last week, Perth tonight, who are fantastic, and then Bayswater who won the league last year.
“What a great way to warm up for the season.”
Cockburn City 2 (Lloyd 57’, Kavagh 75’) Perth SC 1 (Dan Micevski 90+4’) Saturday 23 September, 2013 E&D Litis Stadium, Mt Hawthorn Kick-off: 8:15pm
Cockburn City: GK Dejan ALEKSIC, 3. Keiron STALLARD, 4. Evan GRANT, 6. Ian STACK (8. Marc ANTHONY 71’), 9. Eamon MCNELIS (12. Aiden DA LUZ 45’), 10. Paul LLOYD, 11. Alex CASTELLO, 14. Conor KAVAGH, 15. Jack EADES, 17. Paul NATALE (c), 21. Nick CARROLL (13. John THORNLEY 60’)
Substitutes not used: RGK Jack ADAMS, 7. Ian MCMURRAY Yellow cards: Grant 22’, McNelis 45+1’, Eades 59’, Thornley 61’, Anthony 85’, Lloyd 88’ Red cards: Nil
Perth SC: GK Jason SALDARIS, 2. Christopher SALDARIS (7. Liam BOLAND 57’), 3. Luka NJEGICH (16. Yoann CLAUDOT 74’), 4. Milan MIRKOVIC, 5. Spencer HARRIS, 6. Logan CRAWFORD, 8. Adam LUCA, 9. Daniel MICEVSKI, 10. David MICEVSKI, 11. Clark KELTIE, 12. Kris GATE (14. Mathew IZZO 68’)
Substitutes not used: 15. Friday ZICO, 17. Josh WILKINS Yellow cards: Mirkovic 47’, Njegich 56’ Red cards: Nil

 Smarter than Smoking